Totally Unauthorized

A side of the film industry most people never see.

The one you want is always buried.

When a stage is rigged, we lay the cable down in layers, and when it’s time to take the whole thing out, of course the cable that I’m trying to wrap is always at the bottom of the stack – but it tricks me; I wrap about a quarter of it, think I’ve got a good one and then discover that the remainder is buried under 500 lbs of cable – I then try another piece only to discover that one is buried, too.

No matter how neat everyone tries to keep everything, it always turns into spaghetti.

I’ve been pulling out a rig that I worked on back in the summer, and it’s been fun (it’s a great bunch of guys that I love to work with). After sitting on set for the past few weeks, the physical work feels good for a change.

However, I’m still suffering side effects from Thursday’s food poisoning. I don’t have much of an appetite, and when I do eat I don’t want to eat very much.

It’s actually kind of funny – I’m normally a pretty good eater, but lately I’ve been nibbling these Lilliputian portions of food; half a salad and a few spoons of soup, the filling of part of a sandwich, one piece of toast and half a cup of tea.

Even when I’ve managed to get a good amount of food down, I’m not wanting to eat very often. I had lunch (half a sandwich and two bites of salad) at noon, it’s now 7:30 and I’m still not hungry. I forced down a whole turkey burger on Monday at lunch and didn’t eat again until this morning.

Good side effect: weight loss

Bad side effect: exhaustion and a complete lack of strength – a serious liability when one is wrapping cable for 10 hours (which is what I did Monday).

My boss pulled me off the ‘up high’ team today (I don’t know if it was because I was visibly struggling of if we were so successful against the spaghetti that he needed another body on the ground), and I spent the afternoon catching cable*, wrapping out some of the smaller lights, sorting the spare globes, etc.

I’m not nearly as tired tonight as I was yesterday, but I’m still pretty beat.

We’re going to finish the cable tomorrow (which is my last day), and then I’m going to lay on the couch all day Thursday while I write that article (many, many thanks for everyone’s input).

I’m surprised I even had the energy to type this much.

*One end of the cable is dropped out, and it’s wrapped as it’s sent down. The person wrapping on the ground is catching the cable. For me, catching cable is less energy-intensive than sending it out.

Filed under: Work

3 Responses

  1. Spike says:

    You spewed a bit with the food poisoning, right? A salt and warm water drink is hideous but replaces some medical mumbo jumbo thing that got spewed up and made you weak as a kitten.

  2. Peggy Archer says:

    Well, I got sick on Thursday, and it’s now Tuesday – I’ve had numerous Emergen-C’s, electrolyte tablets, and food since then, so I’m hoping that that’s not it.

    I think I’m just not eating enough. I don’t see how all those anorexic models do it – of course, they’re not wrapping cable, are they?

  3. a former bestboy says:

    hey, peg, wanna go out for live octopus tentacles at the prince in k-town?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Copyright 2004 - 2009
All Rights Reserved


Not blogs, but cool

%d bloggers like this: